2022 New York State
Men's Amateur Championship
Onondaga Golf & CC (Fayetteville) | August 9-11
Terms of the Competition
- Gender: The Championship is open to male amateur golfers.
- Membership: Players must be a member of the NYSGA, defined as either belonging to an NYSGA member club or an NYSGA eClub (NYS residency required of eClub members).
- Age: There are no age restrictions.
- USGA Handicap Index: Players must have an up-to-date USGA Handicap Index of 8.4 or less issued by their NYSGA member club.
- Entries: Player must register online prior to the established deadline (see below). Entries by mail or fax will not be accepted. A player may only submit one entry. Any player found to have submitted more than one entry may be subject to disqualification.
- Fee: This championship utilizes a two-tiered entry fee, with a total fee of $210.
- Qualifying Fee: $110
- Championship Fee: $100, charged to players who advance through qualifying
- Deadline: Entries must be received prior to the deadline (12PM EST on Wednesday, June 22, 2022). Late entries will not be accepted, regardless of reason.
- Refund Policy: A portion of the entry fee, based on the schedule below, will be refunded regardless of reason if the NYSGA is notified (315-471-6979 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org): Prior to Deadline: Entry fee less $20. After the Deadline: Entry fee less $50.
CHAMPIONSHIPS, FORMAT, & SCHEDULE
- Format & Schedule: This Championship will be in two stages, at stroke play
- Sectional Qualifying - 18 holes: Non-exempt players must qualify at one of the sectional qualifying sites listed below.
- Championship - 72 holes: The championship field consists of place-winners from sectional qualifying and exempt players
- Monday, August 8 // Practice rounds
- Tuesday, August 9 // Round 1, 18 holes
- Wednesday, August 10 // Round 2, 18 holes
- Thursday, August 11 // Rounds 3 & 4, 36 holes
- Cut: There is a cut after 36 holes to the low 40 players and ties, and anyone within 10 strokes of the lead.
- Ties: The player with the lowest score for 72 holes will be the champion. In the event of a tie, a sudden-death playoff will be held immediately following play.
SECTIONAL QUALIFYING SCHEDULE
All non-exempt players must qualify to earn a spot in the Championship. Once entries close, the number of qualifying spots available per qualifying site (minimum of 2) will be posted and emailed to players with additional information pertaining to their qualifying site. Any player tied for the last qualifying spot will advance (no playoff required).
- Albany* | Colonie G&CC | Tue, July 5
- Binghamton* | Links at Hiawatha | Sun, July 3
- Buffalo | Lancaster CC | Wed, July 6
- Corning* | Corning CC | Sun, June 26
- Finger Lakes* | Wayne Hills CC | Sat, July 9
- Jamestown* | Chautauqua (Lake) | Sun, June 26
- Long Island* | Bethpage (Yellow) | Mon, July 11
- Mid-Hudson* | Red Hook GC | Wed, July 6
- N. Country* | Malone GC - East | Sat, July 9
- Rochester* | Mendon GC | Mon, June 27
- Syracuse | Timber Banks GC | Thu, July 14
- Utica/Rome* | Yahnundasis GC | Thu, July 7
- Watertown* | Watertown GC | Sat, July 2
Click Here to view the Qualifying Sites & Information
Click Here to submit a Qualifying Tee Time Request
*DUAL QUALIFIER (NYS JUNIOR AMATEUR)
A dual qualifier allows boys (ages 15-18) to qualify for both the NYS Men's Amateur & Junior Amateur Championship at the same time. To dual qualify, an entrant must register for both championships separately and select the same qualifying site. Dual qualifiers will not be permitted to use a motorized golf cart or a caddie.
Players in the following categories are exempt into this year's Championship. The NYSGA reserves the right to revise any of the exemption categories. Exempt players must submit an entry prior to the deadline (12PM EST on Wednesday, June 22, 2022)
- E1. Winners of the NYS Men's Amateur Championship from the last 20 years
- E2. From the 2021 NYS Men's Amateur Championship, the 20 lowest scorers and anyone tied for 20th place
- E3. Winners of the NYS Men's Mid-Amateur Championship from the last 10 years
- E4. From the 2021 NYS Men's Mid-Amateur Championship, the 10 lowest scorers and anyone tied for 10th place
- E5. Winners of the 2022 NYS Men's Amateur Four-Ball Championships
- E6. From the 2022 NYS Boys' 18U Amateur Championship, the 5 lowest scorers and ties
- E7. Winner of the 2022 NYS Boys 14U Amateur Championship
- E8. From the 2021 NYS NYS Men's Senior Amateur Championship, the 5 lowest scorers and ties
- E9. Winner and runner-up of the 2022 NYSPHSAA Boys' Golf Championship
- E10. Most recent (as of August 9, 2022) winner or low amateur (*professional events) of the following regional championships:
Apogee Investment Management Championship
BDGA Buffalo District Individual Championship
CRAGA Capital Region Amateur Championship
Delaware County Amateur Championship
Dutchess County Amateur Championship
LIGA Individual Championship
MGA Ike Championship
MGA MET Amateur Championship
MGA MET Open*
RDGA Rochester District Individual Championship
SDGA Gerry Ashe Memorial
TCGA Amateur Championship
Ulster County Amateur Championship
Watertown City Championship
WGA Westchester Individual Championship
E11. From the 2022 Monroe Invitational, the 20 lowest scorers and anyone tied for 20th place
E12. From the 2022 Porter Cup, the 20 lowest scorers and anyone tied for 20th place
E13. Players ranked in the top-3000 of the World Amateur Golf Rankings (WAGR)
E14. Players qualifying for most current (as of August 9, 2022) USGA Championships
E15. Host club exemptions
E16. Special exemptions as selected by the NYSGA
- Requests for a special exemption may be emailed, along with a tournament resume (click here to download a template resume) to Jack Travers (email@example.com) by 12PM EST on Thursday, June 16
A competitor may bring his own caddie or carry his own clubs. There are no caddies available through the host club. A player is not required to employ a caddie for any stage of the Championship.
The use of a motorized golf cart (push carts are approved without restriction) for this championship is outlined below:
1. Sectional Qualifying: A player may use a golf cart during sectional qualifying rounds, payment for which is included in the entry fee.
2. Championship: A player is prohibited from using a golf cart during the Championship practice and competition rounds.
INFORMATION & PAIRINGS
Complete Championship details, including information about practice rounds, pairings, starting times, and yardages played, will be emailed to players and posted on this website after entries close.
For a complete listing of NYSGA Championship Policies and Procedures, click here.
The NYSGA does not have a group hotel rate assigned for this Championship. Listed below are a small sample of hotels in the region, their distance from the golf course, and the estimated commute time.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Syracuse (6.7 miles/11 min)
- Courtyard by Marriott Syracuse (7.3 miles/14 min)
- Hampton Inn & Suites (5.2 miles/9 min)
NYSGA CONTACT INFORMATION
CONDITIONS; TERMS; SCHEDULES
The NYSGA reserves the right to amend any of the conditions, terms, or schedules published for this Championship. The decision of the NYSGA in any matter will be final.
To view past results for the NYS Men's Amateur, click here.
SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS
Thank you to our valued sponsors! Their support of the NYSGA and our member golf community helps us strengthen our services, member benefits and overall tournament experience.
For more information, click here.